Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a small female dog, miniature pintcher

Customer Question

Hi!
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Purported uses for DMSO are rampant but the only reasonable indication for DMSO is as a topical application to reduce acute swelling due to trauma. You mustn't administer this drug IV to Perla. There is a risk of toxicity the signs of which may include sedation and hematuria (blood in the urine), and coma, seizures, dyspnea (difficult breathing), and pulmonary edema at higher doses.

Please tell me if fibrosis were diagnosed by X-raying Perla. For most interstitial lung diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis, immunosuppression has been advocated (provided that infection has been ruled out) starting with glucocorticoids (prednisone 2 mg/kg orally daily).

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer.
Yes the fibrosis was seen in the X ray, two, because the vet wanted to see her heart too, and she said it was ok.
Could you tell me the side effects of the drugs that you recomend me to use in Perla?

Thank you. Initially you would see increased thirst and volume of urine, and increased appetite. Chronic administration can weaken the musculature, make my patient more susceptible to infections, dull the haircoat, cause panting, elevate liver enzymes, and cause behavioral changes such as depression, lethargy, and aggression. These drugs should be given at the lowest effective dose at the least frequency possible. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having troubles to see your answer right now. Maybe is the internet conection. Lets see in some minutes...

No worries. I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Then your option can harm my dog too... There is not a perfect choice.Speaking about DMSO... I didn't find in the scientific literature all this side effects in dogs that you mencioned, when you use DMSO in low dosages. Coul you indicate me where can I search for this information?

Yes, sometimes we have to choose between the lesser of two evils. My source is the "bible" here: Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed., Plumb, 2015. The veterinary use of DMSO in the United States is mainly in horses. Please consult Perla's vet for more information on DMSO in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for your valuable information. I checked the Plumb's book and I dind't see anything different from where I was before searching.
DMSO has a powerful capacity treating a different range of problems. And for dogs, the side efects you've menctioned appear to be when its uses in large dosages.
Like its saids in the book: "When used as labeled, DMSO appears to be an extremely safe drug. Local effects (“burning”, erythema, vesiculation, dry skin, local al- lergic reactions) and garlic or oyster-like breath odor are the most likely adverse effects. "
My vet doesn't use DMSO because he didn't know about it. Is for that that I'm looking for a vet who have allready used it and could help me with my dog's issues.I would appreciate if you could find another vet with more experience in DMSO.

I'll opt out which will allow other vets to enter our conversation. Please don't reply to me which will dissuade others from responding to you.