Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

I have an x ray of my guinea pig that shows an opaque object

Customer Question

Hi, I have an x ray of my guinea pig that shows an opaque object which I think might be a urinary tract stone. Could someone take a look?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

I can definitely take a look at the x-rays for you. Are you able to post the x-rays on here? You can use the paper clip icon to attach the pictures to the chat box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached the picture I think. Do you see it?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Yes thank you. Do you have another view (2nd x-ray) of her abdominal area?

Is Florence having any trouble or pain when urinating?

Did your vet examine a urine sample?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the only view of her posterior that I have - my vet was focused on the theory that it was her teeth, and she did not take a urine sample. I don't know if Florence is in particular pain when urinating, but she is hunching, hiding in her castle a lot, and doesn't want to move in general. She will come over and look at food when I bring it to her but wont eat it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, she had blood work done, and everything came back normal.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

The appearance of the opaque object is definitely consistent with a urinary tract stone as this is what they generally look like. But, the object is not in the urinary bladder and does seem to be in an odd location to be in the urethra. At this point, I would ask your vet to take another x-ray to get a different view of the suspected stone. Other possible causes would be something stuck in her hair or a contaminant on the x-ray film therefore the second view will help rule those out very easily. I would also ask your vet to try to check a urine sample and potentially try to pass a urinary catheter. This will also help rule out if the object is truly a urinary tract stone or not.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.