Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

My usually over active male dog is now seemingly in

Customer Question

My usually over active young male dog is now seemingly in pain(right side upper stomach area, can't touch it). He can't get comfortable ,prefers to stand and is very quiet
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Lucky. How long has he been like this? How much does he weigh? Is he one to play rough with other dogs or be super active otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a few hours and he weighs about 65lbs He's always wanting to play and as rough as you let him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is very active does play rough and usually needs doggie downers. he weights about 65 lbs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello is anybody there?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for my delay!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Since this started up, has he acted like he wants to vomit or retch at all? Has he acted like he is trying to urinate or defecate with no success?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does not act like he wants to vomit but he seemed to try to poop a few times but not sure he was successful.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that he's not acting like he wants to vomit as that would potentially be one of the most critical situations that could be at hand. In larger breed dogs, if they act like this and retch, they can have a situation where their stomach has twisted. If you offer him some more treats, does he eat those? Does it seem like he's getting any better, the same or worse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has taken a few bites of bacon but I only gave him small scraps to see if he is interested and he is not acting like he feels better-still the same.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that he's still taking a few bites of the bacon as it shows he's interested in it. It would seem to be more critical if he wasn't interested at all in treats like this. Could his discomfort be from a blow / injury to the abdominal wall region? If he was rough housing and crashed into something there, it could be pretty sore. If there was more trauma, could there be a visible swelling or a wound or bruising? Sometimes with blunt force, there really isn't anything to be seen. Signs of things progressing to a more serious situation would be vomiting, trying to vomit and nothing happening, straining to urinate and nothing coming out, abdominal distention, weakness / collapse of the rear legs, and overall increasing of anxiety / discomfort. At this point, could he start to look better here with time as he gets further out from possibly some external source of trauma? That is something that is the hope. If he's not improving or getting worse, then a visit to the ER vet's office would be a very good idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you we will play the waiting game unless he gets worse.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm hoping for the best for this guy! Fingers crossed!