Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

What can i do if my rabbit just ate a Croton plant?

Customer Question

what can i do if my rabbit just ate a Croton plant ?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much did Charlie have?

How long ago?

How is he and his appetite just now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ate half of a leaf off the plant so it just happened he looks normal right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that he only had a small amount. This is because Croton can cause irritation to the stomach, cramps, diarrhea, and appetite loss. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, rabbits cannot vomit and as a prey species will often be subtle about stomach upset. Therefore, it is key to monitor his appetite and stools for the next 48 hours. Any changes to these and we'd need to consider having a check with his vet.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** that stomach upset risk, I would note that you can treat him with activated charcoal. This is OTC at most pharmacies and we could add a small dose (1g per pound of his weight) to his food or to water to syringe feed. This will help bind the plant toxin and again reduce the risk of signs. Otherwise, we'd want to keep him eating (offering favorites as need be and increasing roughage/fiber/hay to keep his stools normal) over this next few days. Any lapse and again, we'd need his local vet to treat with anti-nausea medication/prokinetics +/- syringe feed to get him over this.

So, the small amount carries a small amount of risk for Charlie But as a species with such a sensitive gut, we always need to tread with care. Therefore, use the above at this stage and keep a close eye. As long as we see none of those signs, we are happy. But if we do see any, then we'd want to have a check with his vet.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )