Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My hamster started with a open wound by its arm i just

Customer Question

my hamster started with a open wound by its arm i just looked at it and it had black spots around it.. I squeezed it and a lump of black bloody mass came out.. I have some animal antibiotic ointment i put on it.. what do you think it is
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your description, it sounds like you have expressed a blood clot from the wound. Now in regards ***** ***** here, we do need to tread with care and would not want to use a topical antibiotic on Danicka. This is because any topical treatment one uses, a hamster will lick off. This will prevent it from doing any good, will lead to the hamster adding more bacteria to the wound, and even worse could cause fatal diarrhea. The reason why the last is a worry here is because ingestion of these topical antibiotics can do serious harm to the good gut bacteria they rely so heavily on for digestion.

Therefore, home care here will be limited. You can salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) bathe the wound 2-3 times daily but otherwise we'd need to ring her vet for hamster safe oral/systemic antibiotics to treat from the inside out +/- anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to reduce the soreness, inflammation, and facilitate healing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the open wound is draining and smells terrible. There is still a large hard mass around it.. I will rinse with warm salt water, She is eating and does not seemed bothered. Should I make an appointment
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If there is a hard mass around it, then we'd be worried that this wound is a small part of a bigger issue (ie tumor). Therefore, with that complication and if you are smelling an odor like that (which suggests infection), then we'd really need this wee lass seen. She needs antibiotics for the infection but may even need an amputation if we have a mass around this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.