Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Already asked question where is my answer

Customer Question

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I responded to your original question but it took me a little time to type up a response to you. I tried to contact the moderator to close this one since it's a duplicate but was unable to do so.

Therefore, if you contact customer service, they should be able to close this question for you so you shouldn't get charged for it.

On the off chance that you can't see my original reply, I'll copy it below:

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I typically do agree that it's best for the pup to stay with mom and siblings until about 7-8 weeks of age but not everyone (breeders and vets included) agree with me.

The situation is by no means hopeless, though, since there's a great deal that you can do which will assure that Skyla develops into a well socialized and confident adult.

You'll want to be a little careful about where you take her until she's had all her shots, though, since she can still become sick if exposed. So, no pet stores or trips to the park where you don't know the dogs or their owners.

Instead, have friends, family members and/or neighbors stop by to interact with her. If they have dogs who get along with puppies, they should bring them as well. One at a time will be best so as not to overwhelm her.

I'd also plan on taking her with you in the car, if possible, on your trips to the grocery store or bank or around town...as long as it's not too hot nor too cold to leave her. You'll also want to keep her in a crate when you do so that she can't destroy your car while you're not there to supervise her. This will help expose her to new sounds and situations which can lessen her stress for future vet visits.

I'd also plan on play dates if your friends, family members or neighbors have dogs where you take her to their homes.

The goal is to slowly expose her to new situations which are pleasant and fun.

Most labs are pretty easy going and adjust to whatever you expose them to but the more you work now at her socialization, the less likely she is to be shy and nervous when she matures.

I hope this helps. Deb