Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Goldfish. We have four goldfish in an aquarium. All have

Customer Question

Goldfish.
We have four goldfish in an aquarium. All have been very happy until one fish suddenly bent in the middle with all of the symptoms of constipation. This happened three days ago. We have been giving them frozen peas, thawed and broken up, on average once in two weeks.
The problem fish has been isolated.
Internet says to add aquarium salt as this is a laxative. This has been done and excrement has appeared. The fish is still in great discomfort.
The aquarium has gravel on the bottom and our feelings are that the fish has swallowed a stone that will not be discharged
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Have you tested your water parameters? When? What is the nitrate reading especially?

Is this fish passing stool regularly now?

Can he swim normally when stimulated to? Or is he unable to stay upright?