Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We have a 8 week old potbelly pig, he just drank 2 oz. of

Customer Question

We have a 8 week old potbelly pig, he just drank 2 oz. of whole milk instead of his regular milk replacer , should we be concerned?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

This isn't a major worry here. Our only concern is that we could see short term loose stool from Peti having this. Therefore, we'd want to make sure he is back on his replacer and keep an eye out for that. If the stool does get loose, you will want to supplement extra fluids by giving electrolytes (ie Resorb, Lectaid, Pedialyte, etc) in his milk or in separate feeding to counter any losses he may have until he settles (usually in a day or so). Or if the resulting diarrhea is quite severe, then you can give 1-2 ml of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate to slow his diarrhea and help get him back on track.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )