Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a 4 month old beef bottle calf. Good health but has

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old beef bottle calf. Good health but has discharge from one of her eyes this morning. I am thinking pink eye but the eye is not cloudy. Any other symptoms I can check and what treatment do you recommend? Thank you
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
email.***@******.***, the discharge was white
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about your calf. Pink eye ( also known as Keratoconjunctivitis ) is a pretty serious infection caused by the organism Moraxella bovis. Usually the earliest signs of disease are excessive lacrimation ( tearing ), excessive & forcefull blinking (blepharospasm ), & photophobia. Usually, at the same time or within 24 hours, you will see redness & swelling of the conjunctiva, & shortly after that, edema of the cornea that shows up as an opacity initially in the center of the eye.

Your calf may also be in the early stages of an upper respiratory infection, or she may have a simple abrasion/irritation of the cornea due to some foreign debris that has gotten into the eye.

If you have access to a feed store that carries Vetericyn Plus Pink Eye Spray, this would be a good place to start if this is a simple case of abrasion or irritation to the cornea.

If the eye continues to progress, or other symptoms become apparent, then medical intervention will be necessary. There are many over the counter pink eye remedies, but the quickest way to stop an infection is to speak with your veterinarian about which antibiotic treatment will be best for your situation, but LA-200 is still recommended at the label dose. Most therapy options are very effective if used properly & early in the disease process.

I hope this makes sense & has addressed your concerns. Please let me know if you have any additional question concerning your calf.

Thank you.