Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My rabbit had an infestation of ear mites. My vet gave her

Customer Question

My rabbit had an infestation of ear mites. My vet gave her an injection of Ivermectin and I also gave her drops in her ears of mineral oil with campho phenique. I took her back in two weeks. The mites were gone but he did give her another injection of Ivermectin.
I told my vet that she just didn't seem right. Her eyes look cloudy and she was starting to slightly lean her head to one side. He gave me some Bactrim and told me to give it to her twice a day. He felt she was "stemic". She has completed her third day. How long should I give her the Bactrim. He said two weeks but i just want to verify because he only sees a rabbit about two time a year and he has to get out a book to see what to do. I also wanted to ask, should I be giving bene-bac to her also while I am giving the bactrium or when I finish the dosage?
Does this sound like an ear infection. Is Bactrim the correct thing to give her?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, Bene-bac should be given if we are using an antibiotic for this length of time. This is because antibiotics cannot tell the difference between our pathogenic bacteria and good gut bacteria (which are critical for rabbits). Therefore, support to the normal gut microflora is always ideal in these situations and we can give this both during and after the course.

That aside, my concern with Happy's clinical signs is that we may have a middle ear infection. This is especially suspect with her recent mite issue and the head tilt she currently has. In the case of middle ear disease, your vet's treatment is reasonable. If her signs are quite severe, you could also speak to them about using a rabbit safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam). As well, if you didn't see improvement with this treatment, then they may need to consider an alternative antibotic or flushing the middle ear to obtain a sample for culture. Otherwise, while less likely, we do always need to be wary that her current signs may not be related to the previous mite infection and therefore we may also want to cover for other potential issues like E.cuniculi (which could be treated with Panacur from your vet). But generally speaking, they sound to be on the right track based on Happy's history and current signs.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )