Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has just eaten a small packet of Pyrale du Buis made

Customer Question

My dog has just eaten a small packet of Pyrale du Buis made by Solabiol, it is Principe actif 100% d'origine naturelle to kill caterpillers in box hedging what can I give him, he is a GoldenRetriever 8 years old. 36kg
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

What size was the packet?

Is there any other information on the ingredients, since what is listed isn't specific?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about an hour ago he has torn the box to tiny pieces, I do not know what the ingredients were it was a very small packet about two tablespoons but very concentrated, it was to be mixed with 60 litres of water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He might not have eaten too much because some is stuck to the box pieces it actually smells like fertiliser but who knows
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Now worries, while I have been awaiting your reply, I have been reviewing the safety information for this product. In regards ***** ***** risks from this, it has been found to cause GI upset, coughing, and in some cases shortness of breath. As this isn't a pet product and it was quite concentrated, we do not have any dosing information on this, and therefore we could see the above signs.

With this in mind, we'd be best to err on the side of caution. In this case (with time and the product not being one that inducing vomiting is advised for), we'd be best to treat your lad with activated charcoal. This is available OTC at most pharmacies (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) or from the local vet. Dose-wise, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound of their weight every 8 hours to bind the product...

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

This can be mixed with food or added to water to syringe feed.

Further to this we'd want to monitor him for those signs I noted. While doing so, we can offset GI upset by offering a light diet (ie rice with boiled white fish, chicken, or scrambled egg). This can be offered in small meals.

Overall, this isn't something intended to be eaten, so we'd have to be wary over the volume he had even at his size. So, since we have some risk here, it'd be best to use the above. Otherwise, if you do not think he had much, then you can monitor for the above and offer a light diet for the next 48 hours. Of course, any breathing changes and we'd want him seen. But otherwise, if we see no issue over the 48 hours, then we'd assume he did not have enough to cause significant bother for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I live in France and no chemist around so will have to go to the vets tomorrow, will that be OK only the vet is not open on Sunday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

If neither are options and we do not use the charcoal within the 8 hours post ingestion (since he will have fully absorbed this past that time frame), then it is going to be of limited benefit. In that case, you will just need to monitor for those above signs with a view to having him checked if you see any change in his breathing comfort and character. Though in this case, at least that is the only worrying sign of those this can cause (where other fertilizers/pesticides can cause seizures and neurological signs). So, a light diet and a close eye on him today is best.

Take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )