Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My gunea pig had crusty eyes wont eat or drink

Customer Question

my gunea pig had crusty eyes wont eat or drink
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Cheleca. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I do for her
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

You are absolutely correct to be worried about Cheleca; these symptoms are serious and she'll need medical care. Until you can get her to the vet, you'll need to do the following...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
following what
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

(still typing)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Force feed her a slurry of her guinea pig pelleted food. To do this, take some pellets and soak them in hot water. After about 15 minutes, you should be able to stir and mix it into a mix about the consistency of oatmeal or applesauce.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Then, using a small spoon or spatula I like to use a 1/8tsp measuring spoon), you will have to push some of this mixture into her mouth. Go from the side (behind her big front teeth) and push it through between her lips, holding her head upwards so she has no choice other than to chew and swallow.

Try to do this every 4 to 6 hours until you get her to the vet.

It's messy, but you'll get life-saving nutrition and fluids into her this way.

You'll also need to soak her eyes with a warm, wet wash cloth to keep the runny goop from building up.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has vitamin c drops should I put some in that I gave her a bowl of string carrots wont eat either
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The most common thing to cause a 1 year old guinea pig to get crusty eyes and stop eating and drinking is a serious bacterial infection. In order to have the best possible chance of recovering from this, she'll need prescription antibiotics.

Yes, add the vitamin C drops to the mixture that you force feed. It will be helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

As I said above, I'm really sorry she's having this problem. It's definitely something to take seriously because without treatment the mortality rate can be pretty high.

I wish I had better news for you.

Your vet will have recommendations for you, but I put most of the guinea pigs I see with this condition on an antibiotic called Baytril.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Doing the force feedings and keeping her eyes clean will help her while you wait to get her into the vet, but please make arrangements to do so as soon as possible. She'll have a better and quicker recovery the sooner you can get her started on the right medicine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we don't have exotic vet here I have amox/clav 600 mg 42.9mg can I give her that and how much
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, that isn't a good choice of antibiotics for a guinea pig. You have to be really careful with what you give them, because the wrong antibiotic can destroy the bacteria in their gut and cause fatal diarrhea.

Without an exotics vet available, your best bet is going to be to educate your local vet on what you need. Any dog or cat vet will have injectable Baytril on the shelf and can prescribe it for you to give to your guinea pig orally. All they need is the dosing information.

I'll look that up and have it for you in a moment...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Give your vet this information, and let him/her know that it's okay to administer the injectable formula by mouth. I usually instruct guinea pig owners to mix the injectable solution with a little bit of pina colada mixer (no rum) to sweeten the taste. Give orally with a syringe.

Guinea pigs dose of enrofloxacin:

• For susceptible infections:

• 10 mg/kg PO q12h. (O'Rourke DP 2004)

• For bacterial pneumonia:

• 5-10 mg/kg PO q12h x 7-21d. Can combine with doxycycline. (O'Rourke DP 2004)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Provide your vet with that information, and let him know that you understand he isn't a guinea pig vet, but that you need some help and he's your only hope. Since you're doing the hard work for him (finding the right medication and dosing information), I'd be hopeful he'll agree to help you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I as for both
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Your vet will have to decide if he thinks this is pneumonia or not. If so, then do both. Your vet will be able to decide based on the way your guinea pig is breathing and if his lungs sound congested, same as for a dog or cat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shes breathing rapid
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Then it's very likely she'll need both.

To get the right dose of doxycycline from the dog/cat pills, you'll end up crushing and mixing and dividing the pill/capsule in your pina colada mixer.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry she's this sick. :-(

But I'm glad she has you in her corner to do all you can to get her the medical care she needs.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Most guinea pigs weigh about one kilogram (2.2 pounds), or a little less. That means your vet will need to figure out a way for you to give her 5-10mg of doxycycline for each dose. Doxycycline comes in both pills and capsules of varied strengths, but your vet will be able to do the math and give you the proper instructions.

You'll also find it helpful to wrap her up in a towel (like a burrito) in order to force feed and administer medications with less of a struggle.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can do to help you tonight?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response (up to five stars). I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to provide a good rating. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Cheleca. Is she doing any better today?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can do to help you with Cheleca?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how Cheleca is doing. Are things going any better yet?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cheleca. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo