Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

Dog has fat and inflammation in the penis area. It's

Customer Question

Dog has fat and inflammation in the penis area. It's very fluid and moves freely. Vet said its between skin and muscle not in belly. She thinks it's a cellulitis. She can feel a lump area that feels very very inflamed but not hard. She said feels like
fat that is inflamed. What's the chances of this being some kind of cancer
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. How old is this guy? How long has this area had this swelling present? Did your vet feel that this lump was something that should aspirated or removed? What was their plan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 7 a labradoodle. The area just started the night before last. It's just like a collection of fluid. She did aspirate a lump last week more by his ribs. And it was fat cells. Then 2 nights ago he started acting weird. And the fluid collection was down by his right aide between his groin and penis area. Today it seems to have gotten bigger and is covering more area that it is hanging more in the middle then right side. She is going to u/s and aspirateJust wondering would dancer present like this
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all that good information. It sounds like your vet is doing a very thorough job on getting more information to best asses the situation to figure out what the issue is and then what needs to be done for it. The ultrasound is a very good diagnostic tool and that combined with a possible aspirate should hopefully give the answer to the situation. Could it be cancer? Any time there is a lump / bump in an area, cancer gets put on the list of rule outs. Could this area be just cellulitis due to some trauma or infection? That is something that has to be highly suspect too. Could it be a hernia? Could it be some collection of fluid due to a protein issue - edema? If nothing is seen on the u/s and the aspirate, checking some blood work would be the next step. Hopefully this is not the more serious situation that you are worried about. Hopefully it is cellulitis that will resolve here with time and possibly some other therapy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had blood work done and it all came back perfect
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is great that the blood work came back perfect. That hopefully makes this situation one that will have a good outcome. I'll be curious to see what the ultrasound and the fine needle aspirate come back as.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she aspirated it. She said it is cellular. No blood or clear fluid. She said it almost looks like pus but. It quite? She thinks it's the start of an abscess that just hasn't often full blown yet. She is sending it away.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that she's sending away the aspirate for a pathologist to evaluate the material. They are specially trained to look at samples like that to give a better idea as to the source / cause of the issue. At my ER clinic, I'm in a position where I will a lot of times make two samples and use one to look at myself to see if I can quickly have a better idea of the cause. More than likely the early infection would be the best thing as a course of antibiotics would hopefully resolve the issue.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?