Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

My German Shepard is 12 years old and has an injection

Customer Question

My German Shepard is 12 years old and has an injection approx every 3 months plus anti inflammatory when needed. He was following me around while I was mowing the lawns (2 acres) and he has over done it. He won't sit or lie down and has been walking and standing for hours. I have given him 1 1/2 anti inflammatories but I don't think they have kicked in yet. We have tried lying him down but he gets straight up again. What can I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this guy's situation. What anti-inflammatory did you give him and size? How much does he weigh? Is he acting like he is trying to vomit at all or retch? Does he look any larger in his abdomen region?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previcox 227 mg and he weighs approx 42 kgs . He does not appear to want to vomit and his tummy looks normal. He is panting a lot and he appears to want to lie down but stops half way down . Note he cannot sit due to an accident when he was younger.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering those questions. I have a few more. Since he started to act like this has he drank anything or ate anything? Does it look like he's breathing harder than normal or quicker than normal? Do his gums look pink?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has eaten his tea, not sure if he has been drinking or not because he keeps walking in and out. His gums look pink and I think he is breathing a little quicker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I think he is ok he is lying down at long last! Will take him to vet tomorrow for check up!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is great that he's lying down at long last. With him having had the previcox, hopefully that is finally kicking in. It is an NSAID and it can't be combined with anything else that an owner may have at home. As far as his situation, if he was to at all start to retch / vomit with nothing, have a distended belly, act painful in his belly, strain to urinate, have pale gums, or have weakness - those would all be red flags for possibly more emergent of a situation. These would warrant a trip to an ER clinic if they were seen. I'm hopeful that he'll now lay down and continue to rest.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Anytime I have a bigger, deep chested dog act this way, the situation of a twisted stomach always gets brought up. When that happens, they can look similar initially but then progress to the abdominal distention, the retching with no production, and weakness.