Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a swollen eye, not around it in the fur, the eye

Customer Question

my dog has a swollen eye, not around it in the fur, the eye itself. can I give him Benadryl? he's 120 lbs. he seems fine other than the eye. I washed it with salt water and put a chamomile tea bag on it
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I can't think of any case in which Benadryl would be contraindicated for a "swollen eye" but I need you to clarify what a "swollen eye" implies. Can you upload a photo of his eye to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Is the eye exophthalmic - the entire globe of the eye is shifted forward in its bony orbit? Or is the globe of the eye in its regular place but the globe is enlarged (glaucoma)? Are you seeing swelling of the conjunctiva - the pink membranes surround the eye in which case an allergic conjunctivitis may be present and which might respond to an antihistamine such as Benadryl?