Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 3 year old shitzhuX was desexed last thursday{10 days}and

Customer Question

hi dr andy/my 3 year old shitzhuX was desexed last thursday{10 days}and i removed his sutures this am.as he was constantly licking the wound...the suture line is very inflamed and am wondering if you can suggest anything to put on it to relieve it as he is upset and obviously it is hurting him.I will take him to the vet tomorrow but he needs relief now...barbara
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

If it has been 10 days and the skin is fully healed, you can apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream from your local pharmacy or grocery store to the skin to reduce inflammation and irritation for her. Otherwise, we'd need to block her access to this spot either by having her wear an e-collar or a tshirt (which can be tied over the back to help it cover the spay wound on her abdomen) to prevent self-trauma and worsening of the irritation.

Please take care,

DR. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.