Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

I have a 4 year old lab recently got a kitten kitten

Customer Question

Hi i have a 4 year old lab recently got a kitten kitten constantly on dogs nipples like its her mum dog keeps getting into litter tray eating feases help !!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry no one had answered your question earlier. Different experts are online at various times and I just became aware of your question when its category was changed. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

What does Cleo do when the kitten tries to nurse from her? Does she allow it or does she push her away?

How long have you had the kitten and how old is she?

The kitten was most likely separated or weaned from the mum-cat too early and/or she has a very strong suckling reflex. You can try having her drink kitten formula from a kitten nursing bottle, but if she is over 2 months old, she will have sharp little teeth that can bit off pieces of the nipple, so you'd have to watch for that. If you can bottle feed her just a small amount (not for nutrition, but to satisfy the suckling reflex, several times a day and then slowly wean her off the bottle, this should help the problem. Kittens nurse on their bellies, not on their backs, like human babies, so keep that in mind when you try the bottle.

Dogs love to eat cat feces--they think it's a treat! The only way to stop this is to have a covered litterbox and/or to keep the box where the kitten can reach it, but it is inaccessible to Cleo. Personally, I don't like covered litterboxes, and most cats don't, but, for the moment, at least, you'll need to try this, to prevent Cleo from getting in there. You can also train Cleo to 'leave it!' when she attempts to get to the litterbox.

I hope this helped and all will be well with your new kitten and Cleo!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time, to ask for clarification or additional information.

Warmest regards,
Cher