Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a syrian teddy bear hamster. He has had a large

Customer Question

I have a syrian teddy bear hamster. He has had a large growth in his right jowl for several months. Just today, we noticed that the growth was now an open wound and his cage mate (another Syrian teddy bear hamster) was actually eating either the wound itself or whatever was being exposed because of the open wound (in other words, it's entirely possible that he was eating food out of the wounded hamsters). What can we possibly do? Should we isolate the wounded hamster? Is there anything we can do to treat him ourselves?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. First, yes you should isolate the sick hamster. The other hamster was likely eating the flesh of the first one because he knows he is sick. At the age of 1.5 years this mass is a tumor and is cancerous. Unfortunately, the only thing to try and do is see if a vet can resect it but from your description it doesn't sound resectable. If it is notresectable, then the best possible thing you can do is have him put down as this is just going to get much worse for him. I am very sorry to have to tell you this but the best thing is to have him seen as soon as you can. Please let me know if you have any other questions as I will get back to you as I check my computer each night. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B