Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.
673497

I just adopted and brought home two male guinea pigs which

Customer Question

I just adopted and brought home two male guinea pigs which the facility had labeled as female. I noticed this before adopting them. One had had his glands expressed and both seem to have penis's which protrude a bit. HOW DID THEY MISIDENTIFY THEM? Just going on the family's word??? Is this the problem mentioned here in this article?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

I'm so sorry that no one has reached out to you yet about your grooming question for your new guinea pigs, this is certainly not the norm for JustAnswer or the Expert Community, so my sincerest apology. If you no longer need assistance, please use the reply box to let me know and I'll ask Customer Service to close your question for you. If you would like some more assistance, please continue to read as I'm happy to assist you.

Petshops and even humane organizations hire people with little to 0 knowledge about how to identify sexes in rodents, fish or birds and it's a rarity for them to even check when they take the delivery or accept the rescue so they DO tend to take the previous owners word for it. Normally, if they have a vet on premises, this is straightened out straight away as they DO check to be sure.

I'm sure Bert and Herbie will make wonderful pets for you, regardless if they are male and female..such personalities. :)

I'm not sure what article you are referring to in your original question, if you'd like to reply regarding that, I'm happy to assist you further. :)

Thank you,

Gina

Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bert And Herbie. How is everything going?
crownmastiffs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get an answer. I'd like my money back...
CSC