Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Dog vomiting after drinking toilet water with cleaner?

Customer Question

Took the water and dumped it and cleaned the bowl. No water put back in it yet to see which way she goes. She's never drank out of the toilet along with any of my dogs past or present but noticed she drank from one stool and it happened to have the blue type cleaner in it. I closed it and then she moved to the other stool with no cleaners not it.... I woke up to vomiting this morning and it has happened 2-3 times since with a yellow type substance. She hasn't ate yet but did eat yesterday and vomited shortly after. Just now gave water and will see if it causes her to vomit. In the past if she had a belly ache I would take food and water away to let the symptoms work their course
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
From what I have gathered Callie has drank from a toilet with cleaner and is now vomiting. Is this correct?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
What was the ingredient in the cleaner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are pink-ish. She was hesitant to let me open her mouth which is odd and water seems to be staying down if it's clear and clean... Belly seems tense and she doesn't grunt or anything when I push. She's napping and breathing normal now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Just since she was resistant about her mouth, can you check her tongue, roof of her mouth and the gums. Any blisters, sores, or anything abnormal here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sores but it's black which I think is normal..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
When you noted that she uncharacteristically didn't want you to look in her mouth, it did raise concerns of possible oral ulcers or sores secondary to the chemical she was exposed to. So, I am glad that is not the case. Still, I would keep an eye that you see none develop over the next 24 hours.
Otherwise, if we have vomiting but she can keep water down, then we can start some supportive care to soothe this upset for her. To start, you can give her an antacid to reduce her nausea. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if Callie has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
If she is more settled once that is on board, then you can start her on small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice or pasta with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, do give this as small meals a few times daily. The aim of these diets is that they are better tolerated and therefore usually kept down in cases of stomach upset. You can offer this for a few days and once she is feeling better, you can wean her back to her normal food.
Overall, when our dogs ingest these kinds of chemicals, we do need to tread with care. So, we'd not just want to let her work through this but instead use the above to help her settle quicker. As long as she settles in the next 24 hours, then we are happy. If this lingers, then we'd want to plan to follow up with her vet to make sure there is nothing else causing her signs. Depending on their findings, her vet can start her on anti-nausea medication by injection +/- antibiotics to settle her GI upset and get her back to normal for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still very questionable. I wonder about a few cysts on here belly and armpit that could be the problem. She still has short sharp breaths and isn't very stable. Should I go ahead and give her the antacid?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Cysts will not cause these signs. If she has GI upset, do give the antacid. But if she is having issues breathing this suggests a totally different issue (potentially relating to her lungs or heart). And in that case, she is best having a check with her vet for that.