Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My boyfriend shampooed my dog this afternoon. Then we went.

Customer Question

Hi, my boyfriend shampooed my dog this afternoon. Then we went for dinner. When I come back, I found that my dog has discharges around his right eyes. I cleaned that and later at night, he just closed his right eye and would not open it. Would it be serious problem?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did they eyes look red or irritated?
Was it just clear discharge?
What shampoo was used?
Have you just flushed his eyes or only before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the flea one. Looks irritated and a bit red. I cleaned the discharges from his eyes when I got home at 10pm and then use warm water gently flushed his eye. The discharges are light colour
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, all shampoos are tested for their safety when it comes to eyes. Therefore, we wouldn't be worried about serious damage to the eye (like we would be with caustic chemicals). Still we do still have to be concerned about the obvious topical irritation shampoo can cause the eye (ie corneal ulcers) and the potential secondary damage he can do if he were to rub the eye.
In this situation, you have done the right thing by cleaning and flushing the eye after exposure. That said, if he is still favoring the eye, then we need to consider further flushing as there may be residual irritant present. Therefore, it would be ideal to irrigate the eye thoroughly (you may need someone to open the eye while you flush it). To do this, you can use plain water as you had before or saline (plain contact lens solution or first aid eye wash). The saline has the benefit of being a mild antiseptic and will help prevent any infection if there has been any ulcerations or erosions to the cornea from either the shampoo or any contact with the eye (if he has rubbed).
Further to this, we want to monitor the pink tissue around Dudu's eyes known as the conjunctiva. This is because we can see this tissue swell in response to the eye irritation. It is essentially the eye's 'defense system' against further irritants reaching the eye. So, we just want to monitor that it doesn't swell as that can be a clue that there could still be some shampoo on the eye or secondary irritation/trauma.
Otherwise, it is a case of monitoring the eye over the next few hours and continuing to flush the eye a few times daily. To soothe eye in between flushings, you can also apply artificial tears to the eyes. Do avoid any that say they get "the red out" (since those are not safe), but plain artificial tears like Lacrilube and Viscotears would be safe to use to soothe his eyes.
Of course, if you are monitoring and we aren't see this settling or he does seem very irritated by the eye, then we'd want his vet to evaluate this for us. The vet can stain the cornea to make sure there is no damage to the cornea and can provide dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) to reduce the conjunctival swelling and relieve any inflammation he may have with this. They can also provide antibiotic eye drops if there is any sign of damage.
Overall, it sounds like you have taken the right steps in dealing with this situation and I wouldn't expect there to be anything more sinister then irritation from the shampoo's contact. Therefore, consider flushing the eye a bit more and monitoring at this stage. And if it's not settling over the next few hours, he appears very sore, or you wish to err on the side of caution since the weekend is looming, then consider following up with his vet at that stage for the above testing/treatment to diagnose the extent of potential irritation this shampoo may have caused.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )