DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

Horese appears to be in early stage of chollic will not eat

Customer Question

Horese appears to be in early stage of chollic will not eat wants to lay upright not on side
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the for question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear your horse isn't feeling well. If you have banamine available, then give a dose of that. Take away any food...water is ok. Try to get the horse up and walking for the next 30 min. If the horse is feeling better, then still keep it off food for about another 4 hours just t be sure. If the horse will not get up or keeps laying down while walking, or if it does not improve after the 30 min of walking, then you need to have a vet come and see the horse. Simple colics like gas pain for instance, will improve with walking and some banamine. If the pain continues, then you need to find out what is going on. I hope this helps. Best of luck.