Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My kitten(around 5 months) got her back leg caugh in a

Customer Question

My kitten(around 5 months) got her back leg caugh in a blanket while I was away. Not sure how long. I was able to free it buts it's swollen and cold to the touch. Does she need a emergency vet tonight or can she wait till the morning?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I would have this evaluated by an ER vet tonight. The fact that it's cold worries me. If the blood supply has been compromised, then it can start to decompose and become septic very quickly.

I would want to put her on IV fluids to help encourage circulation and do physical therapy on the leg through the night. If the blood flow returns, then great. If it continues to be a dead leg, then you need to consider amputation before it gets infected.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.