Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Help! I got a 9-week old kitten, he was eating fast and furious

Customer Question

Help! I got a 9-week old kitten, he was eating fast and furious for 3 days, then he threw up a large amount of food, and has kept throwing up mucus for the past 16 hours. He tried to eat a small amount this morning but threw it up. He was raised on dry food, so I was giving him dry plus 2 tablespoons of wet food twice a day. I also gave him a tiny piece of chic***** *****ver. Could the change in his diet be causing this? He's going to the bathroom, but he got so thin so fast and I'm so worried he's getting dehydrated. What should I do????
Submitted: 1 year ago via KittenCare.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.
I'm sorry you did not receive an earlier answer. Various experts are online at different times and I recently logged in and saw your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!
I'm sorry Mingus is having this trouble.
Can you tell me what name brand foods he was eating in the dry and canned?
Did he seem to be eating very quickly at each meal, before he started vomiting?
Are you feeding only kitten food or adult cat food, too?
You mentioned he's going tot he bathroom--does that include both urination and defecation? Are his stools of normal consistency or mushy/loose or very hard?
Does he have any other symptoms of a 'kitty cold,' like sneezing, nose discharge, eye discharge?
What color are his gums?
Does he spend any time outside?
Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I was hoping to hear back from you, but I will send my answer now and if you have further questions, please click 'Reply'.
Mingus may be allergic to some components in his foods and this is causing the stomach upset and vomiting. Since he's been vomiting for 16 hours, he needs to be seen by a vet or ER vet immediately, to find out the cause of the problem and be treated with an injection of an anti-emetic to stop the nausea/vomiting. Due to his young age and small size, I agree that dehydration is a big concern.
If he spends any time outside, he may have ingested something he shouldn't have or he could have even eaten something inside the house.
Because there is so much mucus in his vomitus, he may be starting a URI (upper respiratory infection) or he could have intestinal parasites. He also could have developed an intestinal viral or bacterial infection.
At this point, don't offer him any food or water and get him in to see a vet, asap. Once he's definitely diagnosed, he will be treated and feeling much better. He will probably have to be on a bland diet for a short while, until he can eat his regular food again, unless it's established that he has an allergy to one of his foods.
I hope all will be well with Mingus and he's feeling much better, very soon!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mingus. How is everything going?

Cerecita