Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a pullet who acts as though she's egg bound. I checked and

Customer Question

I have a pullet who acts as though she's egg bound. I checked and she is not bound She has never had an egg S he is depressed,sleeping a lot,pooping just fine,eating,drinking just fine . She has been on baby aspirin and amoxicillin. She is in a cage in the house. Her comb looks pale and shriveled and she is hot-feverish.She has been in this condition for two days now. There is no improvement. I live in California and it is at or above 100 degrees outside. My other girls (5 of them) are fine and producing eggs.Help,this is my first flock and first illness.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't a lot of avian-oriented vets on the site. Punky's eating, drinking, and pooping fine are positive prognostic signs. Her pale and shriveled comb (anemia and dehydration, respectively) suggest systemic illness. She appears febrile ("hot-feverish") - most likely secondary to systemic infection. Aspirin and amoxicillin are reasonable but she needs to be suffering from an amoxicillin-susceptible bacterial infection for that antibiotic to be of value and unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various etiologies.
It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of Punky's b financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.
It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you but such is the case all too often with chickens. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.