Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog was chocking on nothing and foaming yellow stuff from

Customer Question

My dog was chocking on nothing and foaming yellow stuff from his mouth
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Choking in dogs is not too common. The most common cause, is when a bone gets stuck in the esophagus. They will gag, swallow hard and bring up some white/ yellow foam. They may also dry heave some or cough. To evaluate the throat and esophagus, we need x-rays. I'll typically shoot an x-ray of the neck and chest. I'll then have them swallow a contrast material (barium) and re-shoot the x-ray. This is to see if there is an obstruction or foreign body in the esophagus. If so, we use a scope to remove it, or push it into the stomach to allow digestion in the highly acidic stomach acid. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snowie. How is everything going?