Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 14 year old cat has stopped eating completely and will sometimes

Customer Question

My 14 year old cat has stopped eating completely and will sometimes drink water for a long time. He sleeps all day under the host plants and when I bring him in at night he continues to sleep. We have taken him to the vet twice and they gave him an iv. They also found a tumor and gave us steroids to give him. He will not take the medicine and it is too stressful to force him. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, an likes to be pet but will take no food at all.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now these situations can be very difficult ones. Especially since it sounds like this poor lad is withdrawing into himself and giving up. And this means we have to make one of 2 choices. We can either take a proactive approach by force feeding (ie offering favorites or syringe feeding), using feeding tubes, or appetite stimulants. Or we can respect his choice and let him go. What we don't want to do is let him be off food completely for an extended period of time (since this will cause secondary issues for his liver and won't be nice for him to go through). So, it is a case of deciding whether we use invasive supportive care to keep him from starving himself or consider letting him go now since we know his condition is terminal and he is already showing clear signs of withdrawing from the world already.
Please take care,
Dr. B.