Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

At some pont our golden who is 10 may have eaten avacodao and

Customer Question

At some pont our golden who is 10 may have eaten avacodao and seems to be panting lots lately off and on and vomited yesterday but has been eating and doing her business
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she eat the pit or just the flesh? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Is she lethargic? 4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flesh and she is 72 pounds Not lethargic light pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just ate dog food and if she had the avocado it was over a couple of days ago just lots or panting and pooh is smaller than usual The amount would have been dropped on a floor or mixed with eggs in small pieces a couple of days ago on a plate as scraps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had no idea that it may be toxic to a dog...but it was mainly flesh and very small and she is till running around but at times feels badly and panting BUT it is HOT here to and she is an inside dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
78 this morning but again she is out side to do her biz and that is all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take a pic of her gums and send it to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything we can do to clear her system...again this would have been days ago maybe over the weekend
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, avocado's are not toxic to dogs but because of their high fat content they can cause: Vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), etc. this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoor in a cool room when fasting. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If no improvement in her symptoms after doing the above I would have her examined by your family veterinarian.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She goes from acting good to feeling ho hum usually in the morning feels badly. This began
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So can I start this pepcid ac now even after she has already eaten?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she ate this several days ago are these symptoms normal?
with the panting and wanting water
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If she ate the flesh several days ago there could be something else going on unrelated to the avocado. Typically we would see symptoms within the first 24 hours. I would start her on the above recommendations and if you see no improvement the next step would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian.