Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Has vomited once. two hours has not been able to lay

Customer Question

Has vomited once. For last two hours has not been able to lay still. Keeps moving on stomach. Has not eaten tonight and not wanted to take usual walk.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old Bichon girl Bijou who has vomited and who seems uncomfortable tonight.
It definitely sounds as though Bijou is not feeling very well and the fact she has vomited indicates she probably has some abdominal discomfort as well. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something or she shouldn't have - or even from raw meat - particularly if it was chicken), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within her bowel).
If this has been going on for a few hours and Bijou has not had much to eat or drink, then I would definitely encourage you to get her examined at your local Vet or emergency vet. Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet in the morning - unless he seems absolutely symptomless. Please keep a close eye on Bijou's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
Given Bijou has vomited, continue to with hold any food until first thing tomorrow morning. From then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for a few days. For now - make sure she has access to plenty of fresh water, and encourage her to drink if you can. You may also want to give your girl a little Pepcid to protect her stomach. The typical dose for this is 0.5mg per kg up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bijou. How is everything going?

Pet Doc