DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

We purchased a stacker of hay that turns out to have a lot

Customer Question

We purchased a stacker of hay that turns out to have a lot of debris including shredded aluminum cans which we have found in the stall. How likely is it that a horse would ingest something like this?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry you had to wait so long for a response. Horses are very picky (as opposed to cattle) and generally will soft thru their feed/hay/pasture to only get the things that taste good. However if trash or debris was shredded very small, they may not be able to pick through it. Watch your horse very closely for signs of colic or GI pain such as sweating, inappetance, stretching or rolling, looking or kicking at sides etc. call the vet immediately if you see these signs. Feed a good quality hay in the meantime. There is likely little else you can do preventatively. Maybe feeding a psyllium supplement like Sandclear for the next week might help with colonic emptying. I hope this helps. Best of luck.