Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

MY SMALL DOG (YORKY) WAS AT THE FARM YESTERDAY. TIED UP IN

Customer Question

mY SMALL DOG (YORKY) WAS AT THE FARM YESTERDAY. TIED UP IN A SAFE AREA AWAY NEXT TO THE GARDEN...WERE WE WERE SNEAKING SOME FRESH VEGIS.. SHE HAD SOME SHADE AND SOME SUN... IT WAS NOT VERY HOT.. MAYBE AROUN 21 DEGREES PARTLY CLOUDY
I WAS WATCHEING HER AND SHE WAS PANTING A LITTLE ...I HAD JUST GIVEN HER WATER AND SHE PANTS LIKE THAT WHEN SHES HAPPY. SO I FELT SHE WAS FINE...
THE NEXT TIME I LOKED AT HER SHE WAS ON HER BACK STECHED OUT SLIGHTLY SIFFENED UP AND TWITCHING ....I PICKED HER UP AND TRIED TO GET HER TO RELAX SHE WAS CONTUOUS AND TRIED TO KISS MY FACE BUT WAS CONVULSING. I SET HER DOWN AND SHE TRIED TO WALK BUT FELL DOWN THIS HAPPENED TWICE I PICKED HER UP A BROUGHT HER TO THE RAIN BARREL AND SPASHED WATER ON HER FACE AND DIPPED HER LEGS IN TO COOL HER DOWN....TRYING TO STAY CALM TALKING TO HER GENTLY SHE SLOWLY STARTED CONING OUT OF IT. I SET HER DOWN AGAIN AND SHE WALKED FINE BROUGHTHER INTO THE HOUSE AND OFFERD HER SOME FRESH CARROTS PART OF A MUFFIN AND A PEICE OF PEPERONY...SHE DEVOURED THEM LIKE I HAD STARVED HER??SHE WAS SHIVIERING A BIT BECAUSE SHE WAS WET SO I GAVE THE CHOICE OF SITTING IN THE SUN OR SHADE AND SHE CHOSE THE SUN... AND WAS FINE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY ALTHOUGH WAS VERY TIRED...NORMALLY SHE SLEEPD ALL DAY AND THIS WAS A BIG DAY AT THE FARM. SCARRED THE BERRIES OUT OF ME... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPEND?? YEARS AGO I HAD A POODLE WHO WAS STUNG BY A BEE....AND ACTED SIMILIAR?? MY MOTHER IN LAW THINKS SHE GOT TOO HOT..BUT IT WASNT HOT! AND SHE HAD SHADE! SHE ALWAYS GOES IN TO THE SHADE IF SHES HOT.. SHE WEIGHS ABOUT 5 LBS AND HAS LONG HAIR ...ALL I CAN THINK OF IS THAT SOMETHING BIT HER NOES OR MOUTH?? SHOULD I GET HER CHECKED OUT? AM I WAY OFF WITH THE BBE STING OR CATERPILLAR IDEA??
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today. I am very sorry for your concerns about Biscuit. I am sure this was a very frightening episode for you to experience.21 C is not a very high atmospheric temperature, so I doubt she overheated. It does, however, sound like she had a fairly typical seizure. It definitely would not hurt to have her checked out by your veterinarian. We want to be sure there is not any metabolic reasons for the seizure, such as hypoglycemia, or impending organ disease. If nothing is found with bloodwork, x-rays or even more advanced diagnostic imaging, if offered, then we presumptively will make a diagnosis of epilepsy. No treatment or medications are usually prescribed with just one episode, especially since it was not major seizure event. But if she continues to have these episodes, then a medication to control the seizures will probably be prescribed.To ease your mind, have Biscuit checked over at your earliest convenience.I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.Thank you.