Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. 26 years of practice in emergency and general companion animal medicine, including dogs, cats, reptiles, exotic mammals, and birds
24704774

I have a 9 year old ( just turned July1) Red Nose Pit

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old ( just turned July1) Red Nose Pit bull Bassett mix, rescue. He needs surgery For tears in Cruciate Ligament. I started a Go Fund me campaign on 7/19/15. To date I have raised $140.00. I need between $1,250 -$2,500 depending on his weight. All of a sudden he is only eating 1 meal a day.
It is becoming more apparent that conservative measures are not really working. We would need an Emergency Operation now.
We can't even afford to take him back to the vet.
How can we make him more comfortable? Should we have him euthanized. I DON'T want to but I DON'T want him to suffer.
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting frustrated. This is an emergency. Has my card still being declined or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am willing to pay the $5.00 good faith and the $13.00 balance. My husband is checking our balance on my card now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need an answer in 10 minutes to 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is calling the bank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
L
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have charged twice for no answer $10.00. So far! And no anger.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No answer, not anger.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need an answer and since you've already taken $10.00 out of my bank account I would only owe 18.00 if I get a consultation. If not, I will call my bank and stop payment.
I wrote for an emergency answer at.12:06 PM. It us now 1:30PM. I have to have an answer as soon as possible. It is the weekend.
I realise that there was a problem in the beginning with my Visa Card being declined. But, as already stated $10.00 has already been withdrawn from my bank!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now 3:46 PM and I still have not received anything. No suggestions, nothing.
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
Just got home. Sorry for the delay.
Unfortunately, in a dog larger than 15-20 lbs, surgery is the best option for torn cruciate injury.
My sister's dog just did this same injury and is having $3200.00 of surgery in a couple days (60lb pit bull). I am recently retired due to injury, so no discounts for us. She is having to go through something offered by the clinic called "Care Credit" which gives her 6 months to pay after a down payment. Maybe you can consider that.
These injuries are generally painful for only a couple days right after they do it. The reason they don't want to bear weight on the limb is that the joint itself is unstable, so they feel more secure going three-legged.
My sister's dog has also partially torn the ligament in the "good" leg--a common thing, as this problem, though it seems to happen suddenly, actually happens over time until the ligament finally "pops." It is because of the anatomy of various individuals that makes them prone to this injury. The surgery we tend to do these days is called a TPLO, which doesn't replace the ligament but changes the way the joint is bearing weight. See the following links:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3547
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1975
The pain involved in this injury is not great after a few days. Aspirin can help for the first few days at 10mg/lb body weight every 12 hours. Eventually, depending on the dog's size and activity level, the knee may become stable enough for him to start using it after weeks to a couple months. Arthritis is usually a sequela, especially if repair is not done. Many clients cannot afford the surgery and do try to let nature take its course, and while not the best option, many dogs will regain adequate (albeit not normal) use of the leg. Some will not, or re-injure it.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gayle Byers,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Elaine