Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Yesterday my cat had vomited up chunks of undigested food. I cleaned i

Customer Question

Yesterday my cat had vomited up chunks of undigested food. I cleaned it up but it continued through the day, even on my bed where she was sleeping.
So last night I confined her in bathroom and there were small clear liquid spots, but one of them was larger with a small amount of blood.
I have had cats all my life and Iknow they will throw up if they have eaten birds,lizards or frogs but this seems more serious and she did not eat food last night and is now listless and likely dehydrated from not eating and losing liquids. Isis is about 4 and has always been in good health.
She eats dry organic Castor and Pollux food for indoor cats, although she does go out.
She does not like meat chicken or even cheese.
Would love your thoughts/feelings about what is going on.
Many thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.Is she drinking still? Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does not want water.
Her gums are pale/white.
Gums more dry than moist.
She did not seem tender until I pressed under her 2 front legs,slight irritated sound.
She could have eaten bird,lizard or frog-haven't seen animal parts on patio or vomited.
No diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** gums more pale then usual for her?Has she been breathing quicker or heavier?Any black stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, don't know regular gum color.
No heavy breathing.
Stool small,dry,not black.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries,Just cause pale/white would raise real worries of a possible heart issue or internal bleed, can you just tell me if her gums seem much paler then your own (or any other pets you have)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums are paler than mine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking that and comparing them for me. If they are very pale (white), then we'd want her seen urgently. As I noted pale gums can be a sign of heart issues, lung disease (less likely if she can breathe comfortably), but also anemia (low blood volume) and blood loss. So, while those don't necessarily relate to her GI signs, it could make her feel weak and unwell. Otherwise, since we do have to consider the GI signs. Her appetite loss, vomiting, and refusal to drink tell us that she has significant nausea here. This can be due to GI infections, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion (like the local wildlife), and exposure to toxins or harmful non-edible items. Therefore, we do have a range of issues to consider for her. Now since she has no other signs that fit with those pale gums being a worry, I will outline some supportive care you can try to settle her stomach. To start, we can try to reduce her nausea by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are to give 30 minutes before food are: *Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)Of course, do check with her vet first if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any medication you didn’t mention. Of course,if we try these and she cannot even keep these down, then we'd need to consider having her local vet see her so that injectable anti-vomiting medication can be used to settle her stomach. Once that is on board, you can then start her on a small meal (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples other then boiled chicken you could try would be boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic/onion powder) or a vet prescription diet like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. Now if she can keep the small amount down, she can have a bit more after 30 minutes(and so on). The aim of these light diets are that they are easy on upset gut and tend to be better tolerated. As well, do keep an eye on her water intake as vomiting can quickly dehydrate a cat (and dehydration will make them feel unwell). If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, then do check her hydration status now. To check this, you want to make sure her eyes do not appear sunken,that her gums are wet/moist (not sticky), and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can watch a video guide HERE.(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). They use a big dog but the principles are exactly the same. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be a red flag to have her seen urgently by the vet before this gets any further out of control. Otherwise, if she is not dehydrated, you can try an encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth.But since she is vomiting, syringe feeding of fluids is contraindicated since we don't want to cause further vomiting. Overall, there is a range of agents that could be triggering her signs. And if her gums are very pale, then we need to tread with great care with Isis. If you initiate these treatments but do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours or she has any further violent vomiting episodes then it’d be prudent to have her seen by your vet so that they can make sure there is nothing worrisome afoot especially as we are getting close to the weekend. The vets will be able to check her gum color, have a feel of her to make sure she has no sinister lumps or bumps or anything that shouldn't be there. As well, the vet will be able to cover her with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle her stomach and get her back on track as quick as possible. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! :)