Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I just brought my new cat home from the shelter a week ago.

Customer Question

I just brought my new cat home from the shelter a week ago. And in that time she's only pooped twice. Once the first day I got her and the second just today. She wasn't eating so I started giving her canned food. When I made the switch she started eating. But today she threw up once and then after she ate looked like she was going to again. She's using the liter box to pee about twice a day. I'm just wondering what's wrong and how I can fix it without transporting her to the vet since she already went three days ago and was very unhappy about the trip.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Did she only vomit the once?Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's vomited twice. The first time was a lot but the second time was not as much. And last night at around 1 in the morning it sounded like she was trying to again (so for a third time) but didn't produce anything.I'm at work so I can't check her gums but I was petting her last night and she didn't mind me touching her belly. She seems to be keeping water down and is peeing regularly.I don't think she's eaten anything she's not supposed to recently. She did poop again last night after I posted the question. But it was hard little pellets of poop.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now her fecal delay and this hard feces are not unexpected for a newly adopted cats. Often when they are unsure of their surroundings and settling in, we do see a period where they try to hold off toileting (since it is a vulnerable activity when one is on the defense) and can see hard feces result. I suspect as she settles in she will become more regular and if we need to give her a "push" with that you can try administering a small dose of cat hairball medication or even add a bit of tinned pumpkin or a quarter teaspoon of unflavored metamucil to the wet food to help. In any case, the more worrying sign is this nausea and vomiting. Now it could be related to her being a bit constipated, but we do have to be wary that the timing does fit with an opportunistic GI bug taking advantage of her stress dampened immune system. Therefore, we need to tread with care with Agnes. In this case, since her vomiting has not been severe and she was eating, we can consider trying some supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, we can try to reduce her nausea by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are to give 30 minutes before food are:*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)Of course, do check with her vet first if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any medication you didn’t mention. Once that is on board, you can then start her on a small meal (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic/onion powder) or a vet prescription diets like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. Now if she can keep the small amount down, she can have a bit more after 30 minutes(and so on). The aim of these light diets are that they are easy on upset gut and tend to be better tolerated. As well, do keep an eye on her water intake as vomiting can quickly dehydrate a cat (and dehydration will make them feel unwell). Now if she is drinking and can keep water down, this is a good sign (since kitties who cannot often need to be treated by injectable anti-vomiting medication from their vets to settle). If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, then do check her hydration status now. To check this, you want to make sure her eyes do not appear sunken, that her gums are wet/moist (not sticky),and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can watch a video guide HERE. (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). They use a big dog but the principles are exactly the same. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be a red flag to have her seen urgently by the vet before this gets any further out of control. Otherwise, if she is not dehydrated, you can try an encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth.But since she is vomiting, syringe feeding of fluids is contraindicated since we don't want to cause further vomiting. Overall, there is a range of agents that could be triggering her signs but with Agnes's history and her recent lack of stool, we'd be most concerned about a GI bug or vomiting secondary to constipation. At the moment, since she can keep water down, we can try the above. If you initiate these treatments but do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours or she has any further vomiting episodes then it’d be prudent to have her seen by your vet so that they can make sure there is nothing worrisome afoot. The vets will be able to have a feel of her to make sure she has no sinister lumps or bumps or anything that shouldn't be there. As well, the vet will be able to cover her with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle her stomach and get her back on track as quick as possible. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! :)