Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We have been watching my daughters 5 year old cat

Customer Question

we have been watching my daughters 5 year old cat for almost a year now, we have another cat that she knew didnt like her and the 5 year old cat would kind of stalk her and just chase her because the other cat would react to her. But now the 5 year old has become almost in a crazy like state when she see's her and hisses a really attacking sound noise.She also got into it with another cat during this episode and this cat was her buddy she was licking her when I came through the door from work today. I'm guessing she needs to go to the vet to get checked out. She is and always has been an inside cat. Any help?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now a lot of people forget that cats are naturally inclined to live as solitary animals in their territory. Therefore, when we ask them to live together, we are asking them to ignore instinct. Furthermore, on the rare occasions that cats do choose to co-exist, they tend to form matriarchies with a single queen. Therefore, based on what you have reported, I don't suspect Delilah's behavior is her way of trying to get the other cat to react. Instead, it sounds like you have 2 females that are arguing over who the queen of the group is. Furthermore, if the other 2nd cat that she likes was near during an altercation or when Delilah was riled up about the 1st cat, then it is not uncommon to see them take their stress/anger out on another cat (which is displacement behavior and can even be focused on people if they are nearby when the cat is riled up). With all this in mind, it sounds like everyone needs some space and that we should consider some de-stressing treatment to calm everyone down and reduce the household tensions. Now it is good that they are not allowed to free roam when you are not home. This will avoid further fights and negative interactions when you cannot intervene (since those can even further damage any hope of them agreeing to co-exist peacefully). Make sure that each cat's "territory" has their resources (food/water/litter/bed). This can be their safe haven when you are not home but Delilah's can also be a time out site for her to go when she even thinks about stalking the other cat (and the same goes if the 1st cat were to actively make moves to initiate an argument with her). Further to limiting their interactions when not supervised and using time outs when any negative behavior is initiated, we can also use de-stressing treatments to diffuse the tension in your house hold. Often we will use Feliway (also known as Comfort Zone in the pet stores). This is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress, promote relaxation, and remove the anxiety. It comes as a diffuser to spray and should be used in the sites the cats are in most often. As well or alternatively, you could consider a nutritional supplement that can be mixed into food like Kalmaid or Zylkene. Both of these are very good at soothing stress/anxious cats that are reacting negatively to stress. As well, there are treats like Composure (which pet stores and even Amazon carry) that could be used when they successfully share a common space together and even a Bach Flower Remedy for cats (though not as well tolerated as the other agents and isn’t as feline specific as the other de-stress agents are). And as these are not drugs per say, they can be used in combination as need be.These can all reduce her tension to help calm them and get them all more open minded about sharing your home/territory. Overall, this doesn't sound like Delilah has an ongoing health issue. Instead, she sounds like a female cat that has been added to a territory where there are already 2 established cats. It sounds like one has accepted her but that Delilah is pressing the other to submit to her and let her rule the roost (and that cat isn't so keen to do so). Therefore, we'd want to use the above to allay the tension between them and work at helping them to at least tolerate each other. Of course, if Delilah is inconsolably dominant, then it would be worth a word with her vet about possible drug therapies to help reduce that for her if peace cannot be achieved in more traditional ways. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! We will be trying your recommendations!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
All the best to you all,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)