Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is 15 yrs. old and has recently lost hair on bottom

Customer Question

My dog is 15 yrs. old and has recently lost hair on bottom of both back legs down to the skin. It doesn't seem to bother her. (I can send a pic if needed) Would you know what this could be?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello how are you doing? My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian withover 9 years of veterinary experience. I am hoping to help you with your question you have concerning your dog and her loss of hair on her back legs. I have a couple questions to ask you first. Is she on any flea preventative? Has she every had any problems with allergies? With her age and the symptoms that you are describing, I would be concerned about a couple of things. Sometimes flea allergies can cause hair loss on the legs and near the tail base even if she is not itching. Another common issue in older dogs is a condition called hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is when your dog's thyroid is not producing enough thyroid hormone. This can sometimes cause hairloss or slow hair regrowth. If she has a history of allergies, I would be concerned that her allergies may be flaring up which can cause hairloss as well. I hope I provided you with the information that you are seeking. If you need any more information let me know.