Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I bought a british bulldog last year. i dont no if she

Customer Question

hi i bought a british bulldog last year. i dont no if she has been spated the owner cant remember.i took her to the vet today they xrayed her and said they dont think she has been spayed.they told me she is on heat and her vulver is really swollen
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. If Suzy's vulva is swollen, it's under the influence of estrogen (assuming that there isn't a skin infection involving her external genitalia). The estrogen is produced by her ovaries and so she either hasn't had her ovaries removed , she was spayed but a piece of ovary was inadvertently left in her abdomen (ovarian remnant syndrome) or only her uterus was removed. In any of these scenarios and if you're not interested in breeding her, her abdomen should be explored and removal of any ovarian tissue should be "curative". Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Suzy. How is everything going?