Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is gagging and it comes and goes. It started Monday

Customer Question

HI, my dog is gagging and it comes and goes. It started Monday night - then subsided - the came back last night . It is like a "honking" sound and each episode lasts for about 3 minutes. He is eating fine, excersizing and pooping fine. He is 15 pounds and a terrier mix.
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did have a bordatella vaccination a couple of weeks ago, and also had a lice treatment at the same time. Is it possible it is allergic reaction to it?
I have a video, but it states it is too large to attach, but if you give me cell number, I can text it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####is my number, I am running out of time as I have an appointment - thought the reply would be about 10 minutes.... so please text it - don't answer here.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such a young dog behaving as you've described is likely to have contracted infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") in spite of the vaccination which we know not to be completely protective. We expect him to remiss unaided within 7-21 days. I rarely treat an otherwise healthy adult dog with anything more than a narcotic cough suppressant if coughing is severe. Dogs that worsen rather than progressively improve may benefit from the administration of either doxycycline or potentiated amoxicillin (Clavamox) - either of which can be prescribed by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.