Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Our 4 year old male guinea pig has stopped eating and just

Customer Question

Our 4 year old male guinea pig has stopped eating and just lays in his cage. No discharge from nose but eyes seem smaller/less bright. He has lost some weight. He used to chew on his cage and beg for a baby carrot or a grape. Now he won't even eat a treat?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thanks for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I'm sorry your poor guinea pig is not feeling well. Generally when a GP stops chewing on items and taking treats there is either a slow-down in the intestinal tract (called stasis) or there is a tooth problem. Teeth problems are VERY common in guinea pigs and often will show up as slow weight loss and then as it gets worse he'll stop eating hard veggies and then stop eating altogether. When I indicate that there could be teeth problems, most of the time it's not the front 4 teeth but the 20 back teeth (molars). There is no home remedy for this, the teeth need to be checked by a vet and sometimes sedation is required. If there are teeth problem they can be ground back into shape and the eating will return within the next few hours. If he stops eating before you see the vet syringe feed him vegetable based baby food until the vet can look in the mouth. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan