Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog was recently diagnosed with intestinal adenocarcinoma.

Customer Question

My dog was recently diagnosed with intestinal adenocarcinoma. Lola had developed an obstruction requiring surgical removal and our Vet sent a biopsy from a "questionable nodule" at the affected area of bowel; he went through the entire length of intestine and did not identify any other areas of concern. Weeks later, following diagnosis and sfter determining that her lab work and x-rays, along with her clinical presentation, were still reassuring, he decided to re-explore the bowel in hopes of resecting the affected area; unfortunately, the cancer had already spread with 30-40 visible nodules throughout her bowel and he closed without any further intervention. I've received a second opinion from an Oncologist who has recommended treatment with Carboplatin with the understanding it would be palliative. Prognosis if she takes well to the treatment has been estimated at 4-6 months. I've done extensive research and have not been able to find much about her particular cancer and chemotherapy treatment and am hoping to get some more information.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  MsAM replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that no one has responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at different times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine cancer. I'm so sorry to hear of Lola's frightening diagnosis. I suspect the reason no one responded to you sooner is that this is a rare cancer, and not much is known about treatment because it is so uncommon.
I don't have additional information for you, but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored. The only thing I can offer is more research, but I see you have done extensive research already. If you'd like, I can spend some time combing through university websites to see if I can find anything else. Just let me know.
Anna