Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My koi is acting funny, lethargic and dorsal fin's clamp into

Customer Question

My koi is acting funny, lethargic and dorsal fin's clamp into the body. Everything I've read says should give it a salt bath, should we use Pondwater or freshwater?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Just to avoid any temperature shock or untreated impurities in your water, you can just remove some pond water to use as the base of your salt bath for him. Further to this, just to note, we tend to start at a 1.5 ounces salt per gallon dilution and do make sure to check your water parameters (since ammonia issues can also cause clamping and nitrate toxicity can cause lethargy).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.