Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 3 year old male Yorker whose penis is is swollen and

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old male Yorker whose penis is is swollen and sticking out. What can or should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
(Ouch!) I’m sorry to hear of this with Jojo. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The etiologies (causes) include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring in my practices or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice (small opening in the covering of the penis). Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder).Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. Removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis within 30 minutes should be considered an emergency and attended to by an on-call vet.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but I think it has already been past 30 minutes and I've tried the cold compress so I will take him to the vet in the morning as it is nearly midnight here. I will see if the sugar or honey works but I need to know how
You literally have to drench the exposed penis in a sugar or honey solution. It reduces inflammation by its osmotic effect - drawing fluid out of the inflamed tissue.
Hi Cindy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jojo. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to work out the hairs and his penis just went right back end and everything seems to be working great now. It humble him but he's a happy little guy so thanks for your help
Thank goodness. Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.