Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

What is tlpo

Customer Question

what is tlpo
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
A TPLO (or a Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) is an orthopedic surgery that we use when a larger breed active dog has ruptured the cruciate ligament in their knee. In this surgery, the top of the tibia is cut and rotated until its in the right position to restore normal knee use (and avoid any sloping). This is then held in place with a bone plate and screws. It is one of the preferred treatments for large breeds or very active dogs as it has a better success rate for them then the lateral suture option we use in small dogs (since larger dogs are more likely to snap the ligament replacing suture). So,if CJ has ruptured or severely damaged the cruciate ligament in his knee, then a TPLO is a reasonable surgical approach to help him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )