Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

My 3yr old female springer spaniel has had 3 seizures in a

Customer Question

my 3yr old female springer spaniel has had 3 seizures in a period of 7mths . the first time it happened when we took a 5min car journey to the vets, got out the car she put her nose to the ground and started sniffing then had a sudden seizure we went into vets till she recovered and took her home. we took her back to vets the following day and the same thing happened. We left vet visits for a while and made a visit to vets on Tuesday and she had a bad seizure again . she has been in the car on journeys periodically and has been fine On observing her in the grounds of the vet practise its like she gets a scent of something and sends her into having a seizure is that a possibility of a cause as she is a very health dog thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you have this problem with Tash. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. So, she has had 3 seizures, and only at the veterinarian?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I actually saw this once before. The really weird thing is that the dog's owner called and said he was switching vets because every time he went to his vet, the dog had a seizure. The first time she came to our clinic, she had a seizure there, too! We found that if she did not walk on pavement, only grass, and I went outside to examine her on the grass, she was fine. We never could figure out why; clearly some smell told her she was at a vet office, and induced a siezure, but since she never had the problem anywhere else, we did not treat her. We did do blood tests just to be sure there was no other problem.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If this were my own dog, I would do some blood tests to check for low thyroid, liver shunt, low blood sugar, etc. If the blood tests are normal, I would not treat with anti seizure medication, unless she starts to have more frequent seizures. You could try a different vet, but she may do the same thing that other dog I saw did and still seizure at a new vet clinic.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what other questions I can help with, and let me know how she is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help with or answer now?