Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog is on Royal Canin gastrointestinal low-fat food as

Customer Question

My dog is on Royal Canin gastrointestinal low-fat food as of yesterday and fortiflora probiotic. Today he will not eat or drink and has vomited everything up that he did attempt earlier has been having diarrhea all day to the point that it's clear and now there is blood in it. What should I do now today he will not eat or drink and has vomited everything up that he did attempt earlier has been having diarrhea all day to the point that it's clear and now there is blood in it ?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog. I'm so sorry you're going through this difficult situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join this conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
Please let me start by saying the plan to try GI friendly food and probiotics is a very common initial approach to the symptoms your dog was showing. Unfortunately, it will only be effective in cases of a mild upset stomach.
It's always difficult to know what exactly is the cause behind a dog's upset stomach; some problems are mild and go away on their own; others can be life-threatening or require surgery.
Basic blood tests and x-rays can help make the distinction, but it's very common to simply try conservative treatment with a GI diet and some probiotics first.
When that doesn't work, as in your case, then we know we have to get more aggressive about performing diagnostics and treating the dog. Since we know at this point the current treatment plan isn't going to work, he needs to go back to the vet.
The safest recommendation for me to make is that you go to an animal ER tonight. They'll be able to do any diagnostic testing and keep him in the hospital for IV fluids and injectable medications (since he's vomiting he can't keep down oral medications long enough for them to work).
Again, I'm really sorry you're in this situation, but rest assured it's very common. In any animal ER on any given evening, it's likely at least half the animals there will be showing this type of GI distress.
I hope this helps to answer your question.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. Is he doing any better yet?
Thank you.