Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Our Son's Malinois lost the tip of his tail in door accident.

Customer Question

Hi. Our Son's Malinois lost the tip of his tail in door accident. Received 4 sutures. Not healing - continues to re-open. His vet now recommends removing 5-6 inches. Last night another section came off - 2-3 inches. It was dead tissue - no oozing, smelling. They keep a muzzle on him (good muzzle - lots of room in it for mouth action). He is scheduled for more surgery on Tuesday to remove 5-6 more inches. I am just curious as to the likelihood of the success of removing the 5-6 inches - won't they be in the same boat as they are in now to get it to heal and stand a chance it won't? At what point is total amputation recommended? Also - he has not been placed on antibiotics through this whole process much to my dismay. Thanks! Patti
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
Tail injuries are notoriously challenging to manage, as healing is often complicated due to the tail wagging and hitting into objects frequently. In many cases, a near-complete amputation, leaving a few inches at most, is the end result, because this reduces the likelihood of such ongoing trauma to the surgical site.
Antibiotics would not typically be required if the surgical treatment was performed in a fully sterile manner, but if any post-operative complications arose, antibiotics might be part of the treatment protocol. Certainly at this point, with failure of prior surgical approaches, I'd consider antibiotics as a part of the next phase of treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I was just double checking to make sure they are on the right course of treatment. Hopefully the next removal of 5-6 inches will help and there will not be further issues.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Glad to help -- and yes, I agree that it sounds like the suggested course of action is correct, at this point. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)