brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog was injured 2 days ago, i thoight he was bitten by another

Customer Question

My dog was injured 2 days ago, i thoight he was bitten by another dog, he looked like he had been rolled in dirt and he had a place on his back and a small hole by his hip...today the small place is inflamed and swollen, it looks like a hole in the middle
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Based on your description, there is a good chance that you are right and this is a puncture wound that has gotten infected. Continue cleaning, but use mild soap and water. Peroxide is too harsh for deeper tissue wounds. The Benadryl will not help in this case, because it is not allergy related. The cortisone is also not indicated, as the steroid may reduce the local immune response and make infection more likely. Instead, you can use a topical triple antibiotic like Neosporin.
I recommend having him seen by your local vet on Monday. I would start with a physical exam, and likely prescribe some oral antibiotics such as cephalexin.
There is one other cause I have in mind, but it isn't seen too often in dogs. It is a type of parasite called cuterebra. These will also cause an inflamed lump with a hole in the center, but again, this is less common.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.