Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

I have a sugar glider. he's about 1 1/2 yrs old. I was wanting

Customer Question

I have a sugar glider. he's about 1 1/2 yrs old. I was wanting to try something different for him to eat. So I'm asking you, Can I give him a little piece of banana?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kay - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
What protein source are you feeding him?
Do you give Alvin a Calcium supplement?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Kay - I see that you have tried to post the question again.
Sugar Gliders can eat almost all types of fruit. Bananas are perfectly fine to try and are very safe for sugar gliders. The most important thing to remember is not to give too much of each type of fruit as most Sugar gliders will fill up on the fruit and not eat enough of the protein sources (egg, chicken, pellets) since they prefer anything that is sweet. Other fruits that you can try would be kiwi, cherries (no pit), tomatoes, or even grapes.
If Alvin does not like to eat apples, consider trying a different type of apple. My sugar glider will only eat one type of apple - Fuji. I have tried Gala, Honey Crisp, Golden Delicious and others and he will not eat these at all.
Overall, you can definitely try a piece of banana in small portions.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.