Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

What do I do dog she is ccrying out with pain about

Customer Question

what do I do for my dog she is ccrying out with pain about eery hour for no reason she starts screaming and runnig I get her and she is shaking so bad her pain is terrible
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for your question regarding your girl Littlefoot. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.
Thank you for your patience.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thanks again for your question regarding your Chihuahua girl who seems to be crying in pain every hour or so this evening. As you can imagine, there are a large number of reasons why your girl might be crying like this including anything from stomach pain due to early gastroenteritis, to a musculoskeletal problem, an oral issue, or even a urinary problem.
Because she seems to be in so much pain, you really do need to try and get your girl seen by your local vet or ER vet tonight if you can. Here the vet can carry out a full physical exam to try and locate the source of the pain, carry out diagnostic tests if necessary, and most importantly - give her some pain relief. Definitely don't be tempted to give your girl any human pain killers, as these are mostly quite toxic to dogs.
If you can't get your girl seen right now for whatever reason, then please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't accidentally bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
For now, keep her as quiet and comfortable as you can. If you can get her checked out now by a local vet or emergency vet, please do. It is always better to be safe in these situations where there could be a number of things going on. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adelita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ittlefoot. How is everything going?

Pet Doc