Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Natasha is 6 year old urinating quite a bit every 2 hours average

Customer Question

Natasha is 6 year old urinating quite a bit every 2 hours average more maybe gained some weight??
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old Shih Tzu cross girl Natasha who has been urinating very frequently lately, as well as perhaps putting a bit of weight on. Frequent urination is usually accompanied with frequent drinking for obvious reasons. We call this PU/PD in the Veterinary world - or polyuria (excess urination) and polydypsia (excess thirst). There are quite a number of different diseases associated with PU/PD and given the increase in weight you have been seeing, we need to consider endocrine problems including diabetes.
There are actually quite a number of diseases and syndromes that can cause excessive urination (and excessive thirst). There is a very good article online that summarises the main ones: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/polydipsia-and-polyuria-excessive-drinking-and-urinating-in-dogs
As you can see there is a large list and you need to work through these with your Vet. If you think Natasha is only peeing a little more than usual, then we would need to consider urinary issues such as urinary crystals/stones or a urinary tract infection. If this increase in urination has only been noticed in the past few days - it would be best to rule this out first. If you can get a long to your vet today with Natasha and a fresh urine sample from her - then your vet will be able to begin ruling things out. Whatever the case, urination this frequently isn't normal, so the sooner you can follow up on this the better.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would just check up to see how you are getting on with Natasha. Did you manage to follow up with your vet today?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Natasha. How is everything going?

Pet Doc